Monday, October 24, 2011

How to change front and back brake pads and rotors on a 2002 Volkswagen Jetta 2.0?

I need a link to a tutorial, or any inside knowledge that could be posted on a step by step process, hopefully with pictures on how to change these out. Everywhere I read is you need a special tool and that you should stay away from doing it yourself because of the difficulty, but i do not want to spend $800 on a brake job. So if anyone has ever done this please let me know what you recommend. I have a friend that is very mechanically inclined, and has changed brakes on every American made vehicle, so I am hoping this tutorial could help us both in installing these.How to change front and back brake pads and rotors on a 2002 Volkswagen Jetta 2.0?The front brakes are just like any other car. Two allen bolts holding the caliper on to the caliper bracket. Then two 18mm bolts holding the caliper bracket on.



The rear brakes will be difficult for you. You will need a special tool that screws the caliper piston back into the caliper. Besides that you need a thin 15mm wrench and a 13mm wrench to loosen the caliper. The bracket does not need to come off. You can sneak the rotor out.How to change front and back brake pads and rotors on a 2002 Volkswagen Jetta 2.0?I suggest a Robert Bentley Manual for your model.Especially if you're going to do more work on the car in the future. Maybe Amazon has them.

Its not at all difficult. Just some minor differences from USA cars. Years ago, my son and I changed the brakes on my 2000 GTI.

We didnt crash on the test drive, so I guess we did OK

However, I strongly recommend Genuine VW parts. There is a difference.