Monday, October 24, 2011

Why does my S-10 cut-out at high RPM's?

I have a 1997 S-10 4.3l, it starts to cut-out after around 3000rpm and I can't figure out why. I've change spark plugs, wires, cap, rotor, fuel filter, and had injectors cleaned still no better. It could be that I have a faulty Mallory ignition modular. But have no idea how to diagnos or repair aftermarket parts.Why does my S-10 cut-out at high RPM's?I don't know. I have had 2 4.3 liter engines. I didn't have that problem. Had that problem once with a V-6 olds. It was the coil pack. they have a bad design on the fuel pumps as well. Try to see if it only does it when you are low on gas. Like below a 1/4 tank. The fuel pumps are in the gas tank..at least on the 2 4.3 liters I owned..( Astro Van..and Blazer )and they are up a little high. The problem with that is that the fuel pump is actually cooled by being submerged in gas and when you get below 1/4 tank..guess what..fuel pump gets hot and eventually burns up. they cost 200 bux so don't run it below 1/4 tank.Why does my S-10 cut-out at high RPM's?Sounds like the ignition module. When the coil goes bad, it's can't charge/discharge fast enough to handle higher rpms.Why does my S-10 cut-out at high RPM's?Either it has a rev limitor (rare at 3000 rpm) or you need to go back to a stock delco ignition.

Maybe buy a Ford if this doesn't work out. haha..just kidding.